I was a bit surprised to see the book jumping, right on the second page, on this key topic.
As Camille, I do believe 1:1s are extremely important, and I would like to share my ideal frequencies and structure.
The agenda should be agreed by both, and the topics should be raised by both.
My frequency is:
- Every week for the first month
- Every 2 weeks after
- Every 4 weeks in crazy busy times and if you have > 10 direct reports
My structure is:
(undocumented: quick small talk)
- Status update from the employee (achievement, focus, challenges)
- Direction update / any update from leadership / for the team from my side
- Challenges / Problem resolution
- Post mortem of any challenge / issue faced in the past week
- Recap of actions
What are yours?
Join the book club by filling the details below